Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween 2006

Hmm.

What to post while we are waiting for the first report from Colorado?

I started an instrument last night bound for New South Wales, eventually. Day one:

Selected and ripped a nice piece of rosewood for the tops and sides. Ran the pieces for the top through the joiner and used a shooting board to dress the edges. Had the glue pot warming up while this is going on. Checked the thickness of the hide glue and satisfied with that, glued up and clamped both top blanks. Set them aside for the night.

This morning arrived at the shop, sharpened my cabinet scraper and scraped the tops down to about 3/16" and prepared them for cutting the fretwork. Rosewood sides and bellows framed stock is laid up and ready for measuring and glueing.

I will try to keep you posted on this instrument as it progressess over the next couple weeks. I don't work on just one thing at a time so don't get too impatient.

I may build an instrument for the East Coast Tour so that the wait will be a bit less. I have an instrument almost completed. but the bellows are not quite as nice looking as I had hoped.....a few little spots on the gussets and valleys. I don't think I want to sell it like that so it may be a potential tour concertina.

Or maybe I will build a new set of bellows for it (hmm, not too happy about that)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home