Friday, October 10, 2008

to make your own adjustments to reeds

Hi Bob,

I've *finally* had a chance to give the concertina a real
workout for a week.

It really is a fabulous instrument. Workmanship and
playability are great.

I love the custom key layout, it's even better than
I expected after working through many tunes with it.

Only one annoyance, and I'm pretty sure it's me, not
the instrument:

I play, and always have played on the quieter side,
-- it's just my nature. On the left side, many reeds
take a lot of air to get going, and I first noticed
it on the C-row, the G/A button. On the draw, the
A reed starts up noticeably easier than the G on the
press. I was having trouble on runs using those
notes because the G wouldn't sound. After some
experimentation I noticed that was the case on many
other of the reeds on the left side.

I have started adjusting my playing style to accommodate,
but I must admit I miss the ability to play a little
quieter.

My understanding is that there is a tradeoff in the
way reeds are set, so they can be played with better
action at either a low volume, or a high volume, but not
both. Is that really the case, and would it be possible
to adjust the reed setting on this instrument?

Thanks,
J
***************************
Hello Jeff,

Yes, correct, reeds can be set favor at high pressure or low pressure. This is an adjustment that you can make if you wish, or I can do that for you. By levering the reed up or down at the base, you can adjust the reed set.
see: http://hmi.homewood.net/reedset/ and this: http://hmi.homewood.net/rset/

Bob


*****************************

Hi Bob,

I just finished setting the reeds.

It's AWESOME!

I love it, love it!! Now I can hit the air button
more naturally while sounding a note too!

Thanks a million!

Cheers,
J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home